When Ghanaian players are talked about, it’s often about how strong or hardworking they are.
This stereotypical view of Ghanaian players has become entrenched due to the successes of players like Michael Essien and Sulley Muntari in Europe.
However, Ghana has had its significant share of technically-gifted, creative players as well. From Anthony Baffour to Abedi Pele and Kwadwo Asamoah, the nation had produced players who could pick a pass as well as anyone.
This season, Ghanaian players have been racking up the assists in Europe’s top leagues.
Alfred Duncan is Ghana’s most creative player with five assists for Sassuolo so far this season.
Swansea vice-captain Andre Ayew follows with four assists in the Championship while out-of-favour Christian Atsu has laid on 3 goals for Newcastle so far this campaign.
Here’s a list of Ghana’s assist-leaders in Europe.
- Alfred Duncan (Serie A – Sassuolo) – 13 matches – 5 assists
- Andre Ayew (Championship – Swansea) 26 matches – 4 assists
- Christian Atsu (Premier League – Newcastle) 17 matches – 3 assists
- Andy Yiadom (Championship – Reading) 18 matches – 3 assists
- Kwadwo Asamoah (Serie A – Inter Milan) – 8 matches – 1 assist
- Jeff Schlupp (Premier League – Crystal Palace) 14 matches – 1 assist
- Christopher Antwi-Adjei (Bundesliga – Paderborn) 18 matches – 1 assist
- Joseph Aidoo (La Liga – Celta Vigo) 19 matches – 1 assist
- Salisu Karim (La Liga – Real Valladolid) 20 matches – 1 assist
- Albert Adomah (Championship – Middlesbrough) 22 matches – 1 assist
- Jordan Ayew (Premier League – Crystal Palace) 23 matches – 1 assist