The Black Stars take on the Super Eagles of Nigeria in the second leg of their 2022 World Cup playoff match in Abuja later today.
After a goalless draw in the first leg at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium, the tie is finely poised for the second leg.
A place at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is at stake for both sides – Nigeria are looking to make it to their fourth-straight World Cup while Ghana will not want to miss out on a second consecutive tournament.
Most fans are understandably a little apprehensive heading into the away leg, given the importance of the fixture and the rivalry between the two nations.
Whether they’d admit it or not, a place at this year’s World Cup would appeal greatly to most Ghanaians who follow the Black Stars.
So what would Otto Addo’s men need to do to ensure that they get there?
SCENARIO 1: If Black Stars beat Nigeria
- The Black Stars go through to the Qatar 2022 World Cup
- Nigeria miss out on the Qatar 2022 World Cup
SCENARIO 2: If Black Stars draw 0-0 with Nigeria (in normal time)
- With the first leg ending goalless as well, the match would go to extra-time.
- If no goals are scored in the extended period either, the match would then go to penalties.
- The winner of the penalty shootout qualifies for the World Cup in Qatar.
SCENARIO 2: If Black Stars draw with Nigeria (score draw – 1-1,2-2…etc)
- With the first leg ending goalless, any score draw (1-1 or 2-2 or 3-3, etc) would ensure the Black Stars go through to Qatar 2022.
- The away goal rule is in effect for these qualifiers so any goal for the Black Stars in Abuja would hand them an advantage.
SCENARIO 3: If Black Stars lose to Nigeria
- Nigeria will make it through to the World Cup in Qatar.
- The Black Stars will miss out on a second-straight World Cup.