• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, May 23, 2026
Citi Sports Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
Citi Sports Online
No Result
View All Result

Ronaldinho set to end five-month prison hell and return to Brazil after fake passport scandal

August 8, 2020
in Football

Ronaldinho is expected to be allowed to return to Brazil on Monday after his five-month Paraguayan prison and house arrest hell.

The former Barcelona and AC Milan star has been offered freedom and an escape from the trial in exchange for a £70,000 cash payment following his fake passport scandal arrest.

Ronaldinho is expected to be allowed to leave Paraguay and return home to Brazil after his prison hell
Ronaldinho is expected to be allowed to leave Paraguay and return home to Brazil after his prison hellCredit: Reuters

Brother Roberto de Assis Moreira is expected to be allowed to leave Paraguay on the same plane if a judge accepts a new prosecution proposal based around a two-year suspended jail sentence and an £85,000 fine.

Both men would have to plead guilty to a charge of entering the country with falsified passports as part of a so-called deal called a ‘Salida process’ in Paraguay, according to reports in the South American country.

Ronaldinho’s release would bring to an early end his five-month forced stay in Paraguay, which began in March with a month in prison before he was allowed to move to the four-star Palmoroga Hotel in the capital Asuncion with his brother as part of a house arrest deal.

The 40-year-old revealed in an interview at the end of April with Paraguayan daily ABC Color that the first thing he will do when he recovers his freedom gives his doting mum Miguelina “a big kiss”.

The Brazilian football legend was arrested alongside his brother for entering the country with fake passports
The Brazilian football legend was arrested alongside his brother for entering the country with fake passports

The same newspaper says prosecutors have asked judge Gustavo Amarilla to spare Ronaldinho an embarrassing trial and hand his older sibling a suspended prison sentence.

The cash payments the pair will reportedly be asked to pay to secure their release and be able to fly home are being described locally as “reparation of the social damage” their behaviour caused.

ABC Color says Ronaldinho could expect a two-year prison sentence if his lawyers reject the prosecution deal.

The footballer’s legal team, who have always insisted Ronaldinho was not aware he was breaking any laws, were yet to make any official comment by Saturday.

FIVE-MONTH HELL

Prosecutors are understood to have told the judge – who will also decide the retired footballer’s brother’s fate – they have no evidence Roberto had any “direct participation” in the “planning part” of the obtention of the falsified passports.

Ronaldinho and his brother were arrested on March 6 after entering Paraguay to launch an online casino and a book with doctored passports falsely showing they were naturalised Paraguayan citizens.

A criminal investigation is ongoing and officials have linked the false passport scandal, which has led to the arrests of more than a dozen people including a Brazilian businessman alleged to have handed them the travel documents, to an attempted money laundering operation.

Ronaldinho, who has been staying at a presidential suite in his hotel, turned 40 in March while he was still in prison and had to make do with a low-key barbecue cooked for him by other inmates.

The fallen star and his brother have consistently claimed they were tricked.

Ronaldinho’s Paraguayan lawyer Adolfo Marin has said he had been given his Paraguayan passport as a “gift”, assumed it was an ‘honorary-type’ document of no real value and gave it to an official without thinking when he reached Paraguay because it was the “first thing he got out of his bag”.

In March the lawyer branded Ronaldinho “stupid”, saying he hadn’t understood he had been given false documents to enter Paraguay.

Ronaldinho and his brother were arrested in March for entering Paraguay with fake passports
Ronaldinho and his brother were arrested in March for entering Paraguay with fake passports

FALL FROM GRACE

Ronaldinho’s life has been under the microscope for all the wrong reasons since he won two Fifa World Player of the Year Awards as well as a Ballon d’Or at the peak of his playing career.

He officially retired from football in 2018, the same year he was forced to deny bigamy claims.

He had his Brazilian passport confiscated after he was convicted alongside his brother of building an illegal fishing platform on a lake in a conservation area, but Paraguayan prosecutors confirmed last month they had discovered it had been returned to him and he used it to leave Brazil on a flight from Sao Paulo.

The revelation left a huge question mark over why Ronaldinho did not use the same passport when he entered Paraguay, with his lawyer’s comments about it being the “first thing” he laid his hands on being greeted with a mixture of derision and disbelief.

Last year it was reported Ronaldinho only had £5 in his bank account.

Police raided a Ronaldinho family home to seize assets in a bid to guarantee he paid fines due over the illegal fishing platform.

Officers were said last November to have seized three luxury cars and a piece of art from painter Andre Berardo.

Finding out I was going to prison hit me hard. I never imagined I would be in a situation like this. All my life I’ve tried to reach my highest level professionally and bring happiness to people with my football.

Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho’s brother was sentenced to five years in jail in 2012 in Brazil for money laundering and other financial crimes.

Reports at the time said Roberto de Assis had been accused of lying to Brazilian tax authorities to justify the entry into his homeland of money held in secret accounts in Switzerland.

Early in April the 2002 World Cup winner showed he was still smiling despite house arrest and the threat of prison with a live appearance from his hotel room in Paraguay.

He was a surprise guest during an online show by his friends in Brazilian samba band Grupo Revelacao.

He greeted the band with his trademark goofy grin during a video call.

And he also waved with his personalised thumb and little finger waggle, the same gesture he made when Paraguayan judge Gustavo Amarilla told him on April 7 he was being released from jail after approving his house arrest petition.

Ronaldinho has taken to the stage several times in the past with the samba band. He performed with them during one of their shows in Rio de Janeiro in 2011.

He is also said to have been a close friend of the band’s former lead singer Xande de Pilares.

‘TOTALLY STUNNED’

In his sole interview from the hotel where he is under house arrest, conducted with three journalists from Paraguayan daily ABC Color, Ronaldinho insisted at the end of April: “We were totally stunned when we found out the documents weren’t legal.

“From that moment onwards our intention has been to co-operate with the courts to clarify all this.

“I have my faith. I always pray so that things turn out okay and God willing this will all end soon.

“Finding out I was going to prison hit me hard. I never imagined I would be in a situation like this.

“All my life I’ve tried to reach my highest level professionally and bring happiness to people with my football.”

He said the other inmates he spent time with in jail, where he was pictured playing football and footvolley, treated him kindly.

Insisting he was happy to sign autographs and pose for photos with the people he met in prison, he added: “Playing football, signing autographs and having photos taken is part of my life.

“I’d have no reason to stop doing it, especially with people who were experiencing a difficult time the same as me.”

Source: The Sun
Tags: ParaguayParaguay jailRonaldinho
Previous Post

Juventus sack Maurizio Sarri

Next Post

Andrea Pirlo named Juventus manager

Related Posts

Bruno Fernandes of Manchester United applauds the fans as he celebrates victory during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur (Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images)
Football

Bruno Fernandes beats Semenyo, Declan Rice to win EPL Player of the Year Award

May 23, 2026
Photo credit: GFA
Black Stars

GFA confirms June 1 date for Black Stars World Cup squad announcement

May 23, 2026
Football

MTN FA Cup: Winners are motivated to excel in Confederation Cup- Wilson Arthur

May 23, 2026
PUEBLA, MEXICO - MAY 22: Brian Gutierrez (L) and Erik Lira (R) of Mexico fight for the ball with Majeed Ashimeru (C) of Ghana during the international friendly match between Mexico and Ghana at Estadio Cuauhtemoc on May 22, 2026 in Puebla, Mexico. Photo by Luis Cano/Jam Media/Getty Images
Black Stars

Ghana suffer 2-0 loss to Mexico ahead of World Cup

May 23, 2026
Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after winning Saudi Pro League Title Photo Courtesy: Al-Nassr
Football

Cristiano Ronaldo tops Athletes’ Rich List for fourth straight year

May 22, 2026
Pep Guardiola, Manager of Manchester City, celebrates after Nico Gonzalez (not pictured) scored the team's second goal during the Emirates FA Cup Semi Final match between Manchester City and Southampton (Photo by Michael Regan - The FA/The FA via Getty Images)
Premier League

“What a time we’ve had together”- Pep Guardiola confirms Man City exit [VIDEO]

May 22, 2026
England's German head coach Thomas Tuchel (R) speaks to England's midfielder #10 Jude Bellingham as he prepares to enter the pitch (Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images)
Football

England 2026 World Cup Squad decisions was down to “who we trust”- Thomas Tuchel

May 22, 2026
Cole Palmer of Chelsea reacts during the Emirates FA Cup Final match between Chelsea and Manchester City (Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images)
Football

2026 World Cup: Alexander-Arnold, Cole Palmer omitted; Noni Madueke, Jordan Henderson named in England Squad

May 22, 2026
Load More
Next Post

Andrea Pirlo named Juventus manager

RSS Citi Podcasts

Citi Sports Online

© 2024 Citi Sports Online

  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

© 2024 Citi Sports Online