The meeting scheduled between the Government of Ghana and representatives of FIFA to discuss the way forward for Ghana football in the light of government’s decision to clean the Ghana FA has been postponed.
FIFA initially agreed with the Government of Ghana to meet in either Zurich, Russia or Accra to discuss the decision of Government to take steps in dissolving the FA, and settled on a meeting in Accra on Friday.
The decision of Government followed revelations from investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas’ documentary on Ghana football dubbed “Number 12”.
The FIFA delegation were expected to arrive in Accra on Thursday night for the said meeting, but Public Relations Officer of the Sports Ministry Elvis Adjei Baah confirmed the postponement to Citi Sports.
“Yes the meeting has been postponed until further notice,” he said.
In a statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the Sports Ministry Elvis Adjei Baah, the reason behind the postponement is to allow government more time to consult with major stakeholders in the football industry, as it seeks to satisfy all internal processes and consultations ahead of the meeting.
Earlier on Thursday, the Sports Ministry wrote a letter warning Mr. Isaac Addo against holding any meeting with FIFA officials due to the court injunction placed on the GFA.
The Attorney-General last week secured a 10-day injunction from the High Court to freeze all activities of the Ghana FA while investigations into corruption went on.
The Attorney-General stated that on the expiration of the injunction (which would be on June 22), the Government would seek a more permanent one in order to chart the way forward for Ghana football.
Government then went ahead to form a 5-man interim committee to manage football in the country as the legal matters were being dealt with on the side, but even before the inauguration of the committee, GHALCA chairman and a member of the committee, Cudjoe Fianoo, stepped down from his role creating some uncertainty.
Full statement below:
RE: FIFA DELEGATION VISIT TO GHANA
Notice is hereby served that the meeting between the Government delegation and the 3-member delegation from FIFA has been postponed till further notice.
The postponement has become necessary as Government continue to engage in very important and comprehensive consultations with major stakeholders in the football industry. This, Government believes, would enable it satisfy all internal processes and consultation ahead of the meeting.
Nonetheless, Government wishes to reiterate it’s willingness to engage the World body FIFA in dialogue which would ultimately result in positive reforms that Ghanaians desire to see.
Elvis Adjei Baah
By: Daniel Koranteng/citinewsroom.com/Ghana