Karela United have been fined GH¢5,000 for incidents that saw the club’s Crosby Awuah Memorial (CAM) Park indefinitely banned during the latter part of the 2020/21 season.
It will be recalled that in an all-Premier League clash with Medeama SC in the MTN FA Cup Round of 32 on Sunday, June 20 at Aiyinase, there were incidents of assaults by the home fans on the visiting team.
The Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) indefinitely banned the venue while disciplinary proceedings were opened against the ‘Passion and Pride’ side.
Karela United was officially charged on three counts of misconduct:
- for breaching Article 33 of the GFA FA Cup regulations, Article 16(1)(c), Article 16(2)(b) and Article 16(2)(f) of the GFA Disciplinary Code, 2019.
- for failing to ensure the safety of the match officials and players as supporters of club were seen throwing stones at referees, throwing stones at Medeama players, and also throwing stones at Medeama SC’s bus.
- The club was also charged after supporters of the club were seen throwing stones and causing damage to the glass windows of Medeama SC’s bus.
Karela, through CEO Elloeny Amande, pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
But the Disciplinary Committee found otherwise.
As a result, Karela have been hit with a fine of GH¢5,000 to be paid within 14-days and directed to pay damages for the broken glass of Medeama’s team bus while their indefinite home ban has been lifted.
The ruling stated in full:
Karela FC is found guilty of the charges. The Committee, therefore, makes the following decisions:
1. That after watching the video recording of the match and examining the reports of the match officials, Karela FC is found guilty of the charges.
2. That a fine of GH¢5,000 is hereby imposed on Karela FC in accordance with Article 6.1(c) of the GFA Disciplinary Code
3. That Karela FC shall pay for the full cost of repair of the broken glass of Medeama SC’s team bus
4. That the indefinite ban imposed on the Aiyinase CAM Park is hereby lifted
5. That Karela FC is warned that any future misconduct shall receive a more severe punishment.
6. That the fine imposed on Karela FC shall be paid to the GFA within 14 days failing which the GFA shall apply Article 15 of the Disciplinary Code