• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, May 18, 2026
Citi Sports Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
Citi Sports Online
No Result
View All Result

Karim Benzema: French footballer guilty in sex tape blackmail case

Nathan Quao by Nathan Quao
November 24, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
French footballer Karim Benzema lost his place in the national team over the scandal (Images credit: Getty Images)

French footballer Karim Benzema lost his place in the national team over the scandal (Images credit: Getty Images)

France and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema has been found guilty of conspiring to blackmail a fellow French footballer with a sex tape.

A judge handed Benzema a one-year suspended jail term and ordered him to pay a €75,000 (£63,000; $84,000) fine.

Benzema, 33, was one of five people put on trial last month over an attempt to extort Frenchman Mathieu Valbuena.

The scandal has stunned the football community in France and both players lost their national team places.

The case dates back to June 2015, when the two footballers were at a French training camp.

At the camp, Benzema put pressure on Valbuena to pay off the blackmailers, whom he had conspired with to act as an intermediary, prosecutors said.

Benzema has always denied the allegations and insisted he was only trying to help Valbuena get rid of the compromising video.

The player has since returned to the France team and is expected to start for Real Madrid on Wednesday night when they play FC Sheriff Tiraspol in the Champions League.

Benzema was not present in court in Versailles for the verdict, nor was Valbuena who plays for Greek club Olympiakos.

Four of Benzema’s co-defendants in the trial were also found guilty on Wednesday.

Benzema’s lawyers said they would appeal his conviction. “The reaction is ultimately an angry one to this judgment which is perfectly contradictory,” his lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, told reporters outside court.

But when delivering the verdict, the judge said Benzema was “personally involved” in the scheme to extort money.

Source: BBC
Previous Post

Barcelona midfielder Pedri wins 2021 Golden Boy award

Next Post

GFA hands referee 8-week ban for poor show in Hearts vs Aduana game

Related Posts

Photo Courtesy: Medeama sc X
Ghana Premier League

Medeama seal second GPL title with 5-2 victory over Heart of Lions

May 17, 2026
Dominic Calvert-Lewin of Leeds United celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Leeds United and Brighton & Hove Albion at Elland Road on May 17, 2026 in Leeds, England. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)
Premier League

Calvert-Lewin’s late strike gives Leeds dramatic win over Brighton

May 17, 2026
Enzo Le Fee of Sunderland scores the second goal for his team  and dons a Spiderman mask in celebration during the Premier League match between Everton and Sunderland at Hill Dickinson Stadium on May 17, 2026 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. (Photo by Ian Horrocks/Sunderland AFC via Getty Images)
Premier League

Sunderland move closer to UEFA Conference League with comeback win at Everton

May 17, 2026
Bruno Fernandes-Manchester United
Premier League

Bruno Fernandes equals PL assist record in Manchester United win over Nottingham Forest

May 17, 2026
Former Black stars Captain Asamoah Gyan
Football

GFA names Asamoah Gyan Ambassador for National Teams and Colts Football

May 17, 2026
Xabi Alonso. Photo by Maciej Rogowski/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images
Premier League

“We want to win trophies”, Xabi Alonso sets Chelsea target

May 17, 2026
Cole Palmer and Reece James of Chelsea after their sides 1-0 defeat during the Emirates FA Cup Final match between Chelsea and Manchester City (Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images)
Football

Reece James calls for stability after Chelsea’s FA Cup Final defeat

May 16, 2026
Antoine Semenyo of Manchester City celebrates after he scored for 0-1 during the Emirates FA Cup Final match between Chelsea and Manchester City (Photo by Shaun Brooks - CameraSport via Getty Images)
Football

“It is a good finish, I can’t lie”- Antoine Semenyo on FA Cup winning goal [VIDEO]

May 16, 2026
Load More
Next Post

GFA hands referee 8-week ban for poor show in Hearts vs Aduana game

RSS Citi Podcasts

Citi Sports Online

© 2024 Citi Sports Online

  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

© 2024 Citi Sports Online