The Local Organizing Committee of the 13th Africa Games has announced the 25 sporting disciplines for teams to compete in come August 2023.
The list of 25 disciplines was announced during the closing session of the First Joint Technical Meeting with the LOC, the TCAG, and the AUSC which was held at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Friday, February 18, 2022.
The disciplines selected include; Football, Athletes, Boxing, Cycling, Chess, Squash, Table Tennis, Tennis, Netball, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Fencing, Cricket, Armwrestling, Badminton, Basketball, Field Hockey, Handball, Judo, Karate-do, Rugby, Swimming, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, and Teqball as a demonstration sport.
Speaking at the event, the Executive Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee, Dr. Kwaku Ofosu Asare also outlined the criteria for selecting these sporting disciplines for participating countries.
Among the criteria included the availability of facilities for the games, and technical officials required for the games to go on.
The criteria as enumerated by Dr Ofosu-Asare include the following;
- Sending out forms of interest to the various confederations to complete and return for assessment.
- The confederations were required to explain the qualification procedures and processes for their various teams and individual sports.
- The LOC also took into consideration the number of teams and individual athletes to be based in Accra for the Games in their respective sports codes.
- The LOC considered the availability of facilities required for the Games.
- Availability of the number of technical officials required.
- The contribution of various international confederations towards the disciplines.
- Expectations of various sports disciplines of the LOC.
- Milestones reached by various sports disciplines with respect to qualification to major international competitions.
- The expected outcomes of the African Games.
The Africa Games will be held in Ghana for the first time in 2023 from August, with the official dates yet to be communicated.