• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, August 20, 2026
Citi Sports Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
Citi Sports Online
No Result
View All Result

Rafael Nadal out of French Open for first time in 19 years with hip injury

May 18, 2023
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Rafael Nadal (Photo by Andy Cheung/Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal (Photo by Andy Cheung/Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal will miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years after a hip injury ruled out the record 14-time men’s singles champion.

The 36-year-old Spaniard, who has won 22 major men’s titles, also said he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

“I didn’t make the decision, my body made the decision. To play Roland Garros is impossible,” he said.

“Next year will be my last year on tour – that is my idea. If I keep going now I won’t be able to make that happen.”

Nadal, who turns 37 next month, has not played since sustaining the problem at the Australian Open in January.

Nadal has been practising in recent weeks, but not been fit enough to play a tournament in the run-up to Roland Garros.

The French Open starts in Paris on 28 May and runs until 11 June.

“I was working as much as possible every single day for the past four months and they have been difficult because I’ve not been not able to find a solution to the problem I had in Australia,” said the former world number one.

“I’m not in the position to be able to compete to be at the standard to play Roland Garros.

“I’m not a guy who will just be at Roland Garros.”

Nadal said he needs to stop playing for the foreseeable future in order to make a full recovery and return healthy to complete a farewell season in 2024.

“I will stop for a while, maybe one month, maybe three months or maybe four months. I do not like to predict the future,” he said.

“I will do the right thing for my body and personal happiness. My motivation is to enjoy the season and say goodbye to all the tournaments I have enjoyed in my career.

“If I keep going now I will not be able to make that happen.”

Nadal injured his hip during a second-round defeat by American Mackenzie MacDonald in Melbourne and initially expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

An MRI scan two days after the match showed a tear in his left psoas muscle.

Last month, Nadal announced he would not be able to play the Madrid Open because the injury “still hadn’t healed” and was planning a different course of treatment.

Then he withdrew from this month’s Italian Open – another important clay-court tournament before the French Open – saying he had still not been able to train at a high level.

On Thursday, he announced he will miss Roland Garros for the first time in his career in a news conference at his academy in Mallorca.

Nadal won the French Open title in his first appearance there in 2005, going on to triumph another 13 times in the following 17 years.

No player has won as many singles titles at one major tournament as the Mallorcan left-hander has at Roland Garros.

Known as the ‘King of Clay’, Nadal has won 112 of his 115 matches at the French Open.

Source: BBC
Previous Post

Ghana’s Lawrence Ati-Zigi named best goalkeeper in Swiss Super League

Next Post

Right to Dream Academy acquires MLS side San Diego FC to elevate Ghanaian talent

Related Posts

Nick Kyrgios of Australia returns a shot against Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan during round one of The MGM Slam (Photo by Chris Unger/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: “I made a huge mistake”- Nick Kyrgios after testing positive for cocaine

August 19, 2026
Venus Williams and Serena Williams of the United States wave to fans as they walk off the court after a match against Marta Kostyuk of Czechia and Peyton Stearns of the United States on day seven of the Cincinnati Open (Photo by Emilee Chinn/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: Williams Sisters exit Cincinnati Open first round in Doubles Matchup

August 18, 2026
Shot from 2026 Ace National Juniour Tennis Camp
Tennis

Tudor Diaconu headlines 2026 Ace National Junior Tennis Camp in Accra

August 18, 2026
Iga Swiatek of Poland poses with the trophy after defeating Elena Rybaina of Kazakhstan (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: Iga Swiatek celebrates first title of 2026 after Canadian Open win

August 14, 2026
Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan celebrates defeating Naomi Osaka of Japan in the quarter-final on Day 10 of the National Bank Open (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: “Glad to win again in three sets”- Rybakina after beating Coco Gauff in Canadian Open Semis

August 13, 2026
Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan and Naomi Osaka of Japan shake hands at the net after the quarter-final (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: Elena Rybakina praises Naomi Osaka after Canadian Open quarter-final win

August 12, 2026
annik Sinner of Italy returns against Carlos Alcaraz of Spain during their Men's Singles Final match on Day Fifteen of the 2025 US Open (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: “I’m very disappointed”- Jannik Sinner after withdrawing from Cincinnati Open

August 10, 2026
Carlos Alcaraz of Spain returns against Jannik Sinner of Italy during their Men's Singles Final match on Day Fifteen of the 2025 US Open (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Tennis

Carlos Alcaraz doing “everything he can” to return – Cincinnati Open director

August 5, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Photo Courtesy: Right To Dream Academy

Right to Dream Academy acquires MLS side San Diego FC to elevate Ghanaian talent

RSS Citi Podcasts

Citi Sports Online

© 2024 Citi Sports Online

  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

© 2024 Citi Sports Online