The biggest game on the Ghanaian football calendar takes place later today at the Accra Sports Stadium when Kumasi Asante Kotoko visit Accra Hearts of Oak.
With the two sides level on points at the top of the table, with four matches to play, the game is being billed as a potential title-decider.
The hype for the highly-anticipated game has taken over social media, with fans of both clubs determined to outdo each other, while hoping their sides do the same on the pitch.
Both sides go into the match in a rich vein of form – Hearts of Oak are unbeaten in their last eight Ghana Premier League matches while Kotoko have not succumbed to defeat in their last nine outings.
However, as is the case with most derbies, the form guide goes out the window when Hearts and Kotoko play each other.
🚨 𝗧𝗘𝗔𝗠 𝗡𝗘𝗪𝗦 🚨
— Asante Kotoko SC (@AsanteKotoko_SC) June 27, 2021
Given the fact that Accra Sports Stadium is permitted to fill 25% of its seats for the match, and the eagerness with which fans sought tickets ahead of the match, the atmosphere inside the stadium will be far from the most disappointing thing about today’s match.
Good morning Phobians 😊
— Phobians (@HeartsOfOakGH) June 27, 2021
And with the form both sides are taking into the game, this might be one of the most exciting matches the Accra Sports Stadium has witnessed in years.
A win for either side will mean bragging rights and a step closer to the league title while the losing side will have to lick their wounds and might be left wondering at the end of the season, what might have been.
What they said
Hearts of Oak coach, Samuel Boadu
“I want them to come and support the boys. They should come in their numbers because we’re going to deliver, they shouldn’t worry at all. We need the three points. We don’t have a problem with Kotoko, it’s the three points we have a problem with. Hearts of Oak’s team at the moment is ready for any club around the world.”
Hearts of Oak
- Hearts are unbeaten in their last eight matches in the Ghana Premier League.
- The Phobians have won six and drawn two matches since a 1-0 loss to Ashgold in April.
- In that time, Hearts have conceded just three goals and scored 17 times
- They have let in two goals since the beginning of May
- Kotoko have not lost any of the last nine games in the Ghana Premier League.
- The Kumasi-based club have won six and drawn three of their since a 2-1 loss to Medeama
- In their last 10 matches, Kotoko have scored 15 goals and conceded nine.
Head to head
- The two teams have played each other 107 times in the league
- Hearts of Oak have a slight edge with 36 wins to Kotoko’s 35. 36 matches have ended in draws.
- Hearts have scored 116 goals in matches between the two sides while Kotoko have nine more with 125
- The first match between the two teams this season ended 0-0.
- In their last four Ghana Premier League matches, Hearts and Kotoko have each won one game with the other two ending in draws
Venue: Accra Sports Stadium
Referee: Daniel Laryea