• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Citi Sports Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
Citi Sports Online
No Result
View All Result

Kwesi Nyantakyi’s lifetime ban a national disgrace – Nii Lante

Nathan Quao by Nathan Quao
October 31, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read

Former Minister for Youth and Sports, Edwin Nii Lante Vanderpuye, has said Kwesi Nyantakyi’s conduct has ultimately culminated in shame for Ghana, following the lifetime ban from football handed the former Ghana Football Association President by FIFA.

Mr. Vanderpuye told Citi News all this could have been avoided if Ghana had been more proactive in the face of alleged malfeasance before investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas’ exposé on Ghana football.

[contextly_sidebar id=”br1WqtI7qquewvhcqMe2LaEyWXNLrTJt”]Mr. Vanderpuye took over at the Sports Ministry in 2016, and friction with Kwesi Nyantakyi and Ghana Football Association defined his tenure.

“People thought I was on a witch hunt and today look at what has befallen our friend, our brother, our fellow Ghanaian. The disgrace and the shame are for all of us as a country and as a people involved in football and in sport,” he said.

The former Minister added that perceived corruption ought not to be taken for granted.

“That is why it is important that when any one of us is doing or is engaged in an act that we know will ultimately lead to any injury in the image and the reputation of the country as a whole, there is the need for us to be proactive in making sure that we deal with the situation and we try to advise that person to reform and to change his way of doing things.”

Several other high ranking members in the Ghana Football Association were also implicated in acts of corruption.

But Kwesi Nyantakyi, who was then one of the most powerful men in world football, was viewed as the biggest casualty of a probe that extended beyond the borders of Ghana.

He was caught on tape outlining the process involved in setting up an agency that would broker a sponsorship deal for the Ghana Premier League.

The dummy company in question was to ensure that all promises made by the Ghana Football Association with regards to the contract were adhered to.

The deal under discussion was to be worth $5 million for a year for five years.

As part of the deal the, FA would allegedly pay an agency fee that ranged between 20 to 25 percent to the agency that Kwesi Nyantakyi proposed to set up.

Kwesi Nyantakyi was first handed a 90-day provisional ban in June 2018.

The suspension was further extended by ninety 90 days in September 2018, before the announcement of the lifetime ban Tuesday.

A statement on Fifa’s website announcing the ban said “the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has banned Mr Kwesi Nyantakyi, former President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), for life from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level.”

“The adjudicatory chamber found Mr Nyantakyi guilty of having violated art. 19 (Conflicts of interest), art. 21 (Bribery and corruption) and art. 22 (Commission) of the FIFA Code of Ethics, 2012 edition. As a consequence, Mr Nyantakyi is banned for life from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level. Additionally, a fine in the amount of CHF 500,000 has been imposed on Mr. Nyantakyi.”

–

By: Delali Adogla-Bessa & Anass Seidu | citinewsroom.com | Ghana

Follow @delalibessa

Previous Post

Fifa imposes GHc2.4 m fine on Nyantakyi after life ban

Next Post

Finding solace in golf – Major Mahama’s widow takes to the practice range

Related Posts

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - JULY 03: Ghana players pose for a team photograph before the FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 32 match between Colombia and Ghana at Kansas City Stadium on July 03, 2026 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Luke Hales/Getty Images)
AFCON

GFA in talks to appoint next Black Stars coach

August 22, 2026
Samson Deen
News

Constituency Games will take Mahama’s Reset Ghana sports agenda to every community – Samson Deen

August 19, 2026
Football

“I like challenges” , Eric Tinkler embraces Asante Kotoko challenge

August 18, 2026
Football

Karela United challenge FIFA transfer ban over outstanding debt to Sana Camara

August 18, 2026
Photo Courtesy: NSA
News

André Ayew backs next generation through Constituency Games

August 19, 2026
2026 WAFCON

“He knows Africa” — Stanley Menzo backs Eric Tinkler appointment as Asante Kotoko head coach

August 17, 2026
Football

Collins Ntiful set to make Ghana Premier League debut with Karela United

August 17, 2026
2026 WAFCON

WAFCON 2026: Malawi may have lost the final, but they leave with their heads held high – Pius Asack writes

August 17, 2026
Load More
Next Post

Finding solace in golf - Major Mahama's widow takes to the practice range

RSS Citi Podcasts

Citi Sports Online

© 2024 Citi Sports Online

  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

© 2024 Citi Sports Online