• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, August 17, 2026
Citi Sports Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON
No Result
View All Result
Citi Sports Online
No Result
View All Result

Marta Kostyuk fights through tears to win at French Open after missile strike near family home

Julio Ashirifi Amoah by Julio Ashirifi Amoah
May 24, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk cries. (Photo by YUICHI YAMAZAKI/AFP via Getty Images)

Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk cries. (Photo by YUICHI YAMAZAKI/AFP via Getty Images)

Marta Kostyuk described her French Open first-round victory as “one of the most difficult matches” of her career after learning that a Russian missile strike had hit close to her parents’ home in Kyiv on the morning of the match.

The Ukrainian star overcame Russian-born Oksana Selekhmeteva 6-2, 6-3 to progress to the second round at French Open, but the emotional circumstances surrounding the contest left the world number 15 in tears during her post-match interview.

Russia reportedly launched a large-scale overnight attack on Ukraine involving drones and missiles, with fatalities and injuries reported across the country, including in Kyiv, where Kostyuk was born.

Speaking emotionally to the crowd after the victory, the 23-year-old revealed how close the attacks came to affecting her family directly.

“This morning, 100 metres away from my parent’s house, a missile destroyed the building,” Kostyuk said.

“It was a very difficult morning for me. I didn’t know how this match would turn out for me or how I would handle it.”

Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine in action against Oksana Selekhmeteva of Spain during the Women’s Singles first round match on Day One of the 2026 French Open at Roland Garros on May 24, 2026 in Paris, France. (Photo by Daniel Kopatsch/Getty Images)

The Ukrainian added that she had been crying throughout the morning before stepping onto court and dedicated her thoughts to those affected by the attacks rather than focusing on her tennis performance.

“All my heart and all my thoughts go to the people of Ukraine today,” she said to loud applause from spectators.

Selekhmeteva was competing under the Spanish flag for the first time after recently switching sporting nationality, but Kostyuk maintained the stance adopted by many Ukrainian players since the beginning of the war by not shaking hands with Russian or Belarusian opponents after the match.

Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine in action against Oksana Selekhmeteva of Spain in the first round on Day One of the 2026 French Open at Roland Garros on May 24, 2026 in Paris, France (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)

Kostyuk has remained one of the most outspoken figures in tennis regarding Russia’s invasion of Ukraine since the conflict began in 2022.

“My biggest example is the Ukrainian people,” she continued.

“I woke up this morning and looked at all these people who woke up and kept living their lives, kept helping people who are in need.”

Despite the emotional strain, Kostyuk produced another strong display on clay to continue her excellent 2026 form. Only Mirra Andreeva has recorded more wins on clay on the WTA Tour this season than the Ukrainian.

Kostyuk, who remains unbeaten on clay this year, will now face either Katie Volynets or Clara Burel in the second round as she continues her campaign at Roland Garros.

Previous Post

QNET and Manchester City bring grassroots football clinic to Ghana to empower young talent

Next Post

Iran switch World Cup training base from United States to Mexico 18 days to world Cup

Related Posts

Shot from 2026 Ace National Juniour Tennis Camp
Tennis

Tudor Diaconu headlines 2026 Ace National Junior Tennis Camp in Accra

August 17, 2026
Iga Swiatek of Poland poses with the trophy after defeating Elena Rybaina of Kazakhstan (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: Iga Swiatek celebrates first title of 2026 after Canadian Open win

August 14, 2026
Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan celebrates defeating Naomi Osaka of Japan in the quarter-final on Day 10 of the National Bank Open (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: “Glad to win again in three sets”- Rybakina after beating Coco Gauff in Canadian Open Semis

August 13, 2026
Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan and Naomi Osaka of Japan shake hands at the net after the quarter-final (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: Elena Rybakina praises Naomi Osaka after Canadian Open quarter-final win

August 12, 2026
annik Sinner of Italy returns against Carlos Alcaraz of Spain during their Men's Singles Final match on Day Fifteen of the 2025 US Open (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Tennis

Tennis: “I’m very disappointed”- Jannik Sinner after withdrawing from Cincinnati Open

August 10, 2026
Carlos Alcaraz of Spain returns against Jannik Sinner of Italy during their Men's Singles Final match on Day Fifteen of the 2025 US Open (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Tennis

Carlos Alcaraz doing “everything he can” to return – Cincinnati Open director

August 5, 2026
Tennis

WTA introduces mandatory genetic sex testing for women

July 20, 2026
Italy's Jannik Sinner slips on the ground as he returns to Germany's Alexander Zverev during their men's singles final tennis match on the fourteenth day of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on July 12, 2026. (Photo by Kirill KUDRYAVTSEV / AFP via Getty Images) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE
Tennis

Jannik Sinner fights back from a set down to retain Wimbledon title against Zverev

July 12, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Iran's Mahdi Torabi (16) is reacting while Uzbekistan's Abdukodir Khusanov (2) is lying on the pitch during the FIFA World Cup 26 AFC qualifying round two group E soccer match at the Azadi (Freedom) Stadium in Tehran, Iran, on June 11, 2024. (Photo by Morteza Nikoubazl/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Iran switch World Cup training base from United States to Mexico 18 days to world Cup

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RSS Citi Podcasts

Citi Sports Online

© 2024 Citi Sports Online

  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Local Football
  • Ghana Premier League
  • Livescores
  • Sports Panorama
  • Videos
  • World Cup
  • AFCON

© 2024 Citi Sports Online